Crown, pss or john mason

bennyboy

Hi all,

I have had these companies come to do our estimates this week and John Mason quoted as follows:

£3,950 for sole 20ft container, PLUS, £595 for overspill which will go in a shared container (not exceeding 100 cubic foot).

Waiting for PSS and CROWN, who's quotes I should get by the end of the week.

We are based in South East so I would love to hear your reviews on any of the above companies, because I really don't know who I am going to choose! They were all professional in there own way, one gave me information package to look through which was very informative, the other 2 didnt. They all showed samples of packaging materials.

I expect CROWN will be the most expensive, so really it's who can offer the best service but also at a competeative rate too.

We want to save money where we can and you pay for what you get, but i dont like being ripped off and we have a budgert to stick to.

Any reviews would be most welcome!

thanks in advance!:cool:

Guest The Pom Queen

All 3 have had positive feedback on here, now and again you at get a couple of members who aren't happy, but overall I think you will be fine with any of those.

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry for the terrible spelling errors in my above post!!

I hadn't noticed lol, what does that say about me :laugh:

I didnt find crown very good. Poor communication, arrived late on day of first collection, and sent a 20ft instead of 40ft on the day. Broke quite a few bits too.

Never heard a bad word said against John Masons.

Guest Kelvo

I've just had Mason's round for a quote and they have also quoted £3,950 for sole 20ft container, PLUS, £595 for overspill which will go in a shared container (not exceeding 100 cubic foot).

This is to Perth.

We also had these three to give quotes. The difference in price was ridiculous ranged from £4,000 - £9000 ???. If we were staying in the uk i would have been renewing the living and dining room furniture so i thought whats the point of paying out that just to renew at the other end. So we decided to go with a Sevenseas large move cube. We basically managed to get everthing else apart from said rooms in it including lge fridge freezer (which we filled with loads of clothes), mattresses, loads of boxes, suitcases, bikes, garden furniture, exercise equipment, tools, tv's, mirrors etc. Rest of the stuff we sold at a car boot last sunday.

We did have to pack everything ourselves but we have only paid £990. Insurance through Letton Percival came too £120 and the only issue was how we had packed the bikes as apparently they have had a lot of issues with these. We shipped last Wednesday

OH landed in Oz last Fri and has managed to get loads of the bigger items off freecycle so far to tide him and us over until movecube arrives. As for the smaller things he has been to Kmart which in his words "like Matalan with a range that Argos would be proud of". Iron for £6, microwave for £30, ironing board, toaster, pans etc for much cheapness. Ok might not be the best but will certainly do until our stuff arrives or we buy better.

We used John Mason who were great. Our furniture will be delivered tomorrow (and not a day too soon - living out of a suitcase and sleeping on an airbed lost its appeal very quickly!) so can update then if all has arrived in one piece! We used a full 20ft container, and it's onyl taken 9 days from arrival at Sydney port to delivery, which is much quicker than I expected. I thought it would be stuck in quaratine for ages etc.

We used John Mason who were great. Our furniture will be delivered tomorrow (and not a day too soon - living out of a suitcase and sleeping on an airbed lost its appeal very quickly!) so can update then if all has arrived in one piece! We used a full 20ft container, and it's onyl taken 9 days from arrival at Sydney port to delivery, which is much quicker than I expected. I thought it would be stuck in quaratine for ages etc.
when did you send it how long did it take?

I think it was collected on around 18 April and shipped almost straight away. It arrived in Sydney on 17 June and will be with us tomorrow. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to sleeping in a proper bed tomorrow night.....although it may take some time to sort through the 147 packages for the duvets and sheets.

We used John Mason who were great. Our house was in chaos when they arrived as I'd been ill and hadn't had time to get things in order. They didn't even raise an eyebrow and just got on with it and were very friendly.

Only one small problem this end - when unpacking the Wridgways guys sliced our new bed headboard. We have insurance but have to pay the $100 excess which is annoying when it wasn't our fault, but you get the insurance for these things.

Guest Simcar

Hi

awaiting a quote from Masons, relocating from Neath West Wales to Perth, my grandfather was from longelevens Gloucester!, are you shipping a 3 bedroom house? masons said we would prob need a 20ft we have a 2 bedroom,, not taking fridge freezer or freezer

Guest Kelvo
Hi

awaiting a quote from Masons, relocating from Neath West Wales to Perth, my grandfather was from longelevens Gloucester!, are you shipping a 3 bedroom house? masons said we would prob need a 20ft we have a 2 bedroom,, not taking fridge freezer or freezer

Small 3 bed semi. Wife has ALOT of kitchen equipment, I've seen resturants with less, and I have ALOT of garage equipment.

Had 5 companys in for quotes and all have come in around the same volume - just over a 20ft container, so looks like some stuff will have to be left out.

We have just had quotes in from those 3 and robinsons and doree bonner. Have written off D.B and Robinsons (didn't like the rep for one and much much higher quote).

So we are deciding between the same 3.

PSS is leading currently, due to less sales pitch, very knowledgeable and cheapest quote.

Crown I have found very salesy, which instantly makes me turn away

John Mason, due to us being in the very bottom of Cornwall will use a contractor here.

Guest Simcar

Hi

Quote came in from Masons for 20ft container 2 bedroom house most furniture, £3,500, furniture and car £5,350, not sure about car seems problematic paperwork costs the other end. have to sleep on that one!!

We used PSS and they took approx 12 weeks door to door (they quoted us 8) can't fault their service UK end, 2 lads did a great job packing and everything arrived safely. This end Kent Removals delivered the container to our door and we were assured they would re-build any furniture they had dismantled in the UK but this was not the case, they delivered the boxes to the relevant rooms, took about 2.5-3 hours then they left and we were left to build beds, tables etc. Couldn't fault PSS themselves though.

We're in Adelaide so maybe said company this end is only here.

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh dear. That's put me off PSS already. It would be nice if they rebuilt the beds, etc. :(

Not sure why, we used Crown and Wridgways and they didn't build our furniture and we didn't expect them to.

Plus the poster said it was Kent who didn't build the beds not PSS

Guest Alice2
Not sure why, we used Crown and Wridgways and they didn't build our furniture and we didn't expect them to.

Plus the poster said it was Kent who didn't build the beds not PSS

Maybe I misunderstood vdM but I thought the contract was with PSS who assured them that this would be done. If they have no control over the local contractor, then they should not have given that assurance. I will probably be going first before OH and kids and I would not be pleased if I am faced with the task of rebuilding everything after signing a contract that assures me that they/their local contractor would and as a result, have not made other arrangements. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding the process? Do you need to take a separate contract out with the local company when you arrive to arrange transport from the docks?

Hi Alice

When the company here rang us to arrange the delivery of our container it was them who advised the delivery crew would deliver unpack and re build furniture, yikes we paid enough for their service. Anyhow they literally dumped the stuff and left and when I rang the company to query why she'd said about the re-building and it hadn't happened she said it was because they were contracting for their company and she would repremand them, god knows if she did but she was full of apologies and said they'd send some more men round to assist lol but we'd already done it ourselves. I don't like being advised I'll receive a service then not. Everyone we know here had their furniture re-built this end IF the shippers dismantled it.

Maybe I misunderstood vdM but I thought the contract was with PSS who assured them that this would be done. If they have no control over the local contractor, then they should not have given that assurance. I will probably be going first before OH and kids and I would not be pleased if I am faced with the task of rebuilding everything after signing a contract that assures me that they/their local contractor would and as a result, have not made other arrangements. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding the process? Do you need to take a separate contract out with the local company when you arrive to arrange transport from the docks?

Archived